Friday, July 24, 2015

New Day in North Carolina

NAMI NC got invited today to participate in an Executive signing for the creation of  the Governor's task-force on mental illness and addiction.

   My name is Jack Register, and I am the Executive Director for NAMI NC (National Alliance on Mental Illness) NC.  We are an advocacy organization built on education, support, and advocacy for those experiencing mental illness and their families.  Our organization is dedicated to seeing the stigma and silencing of mental illness erased from our society so that those of us with lived psychiatric experiences are able to receive the care we need, achieve stability and a sense of recovery, lead full and productive lives as engaged citizens in our communities.
  Recently we were invited to witness the Governor signing the executive order to establish a task force regarding mental illness and addiction issues in our state.  This historic moment allowed our leadership of NC to talk openly and frankly about the need for our state to have a more comprehensive response.  
  In NAMI terms, I identify as a family member as well as a consumer.  This means that I am related to those who have struggled with psychiatric disabilities and that I have my own experiences as well.  My mom died in 2009 at the age of 56.  National statistics show that those with mental illness have a higher likelihood of death 25 years sooner than their cohort.  That holds true in my mom's case.  The day the Governor signed this executive order was on her birthday.  
  This blog is dedicated to my sharing thoughts and experiences as an advocate in the state and as a part of the NAMI community.  Thoughts and opinions here are my own unless otherwise expressed as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment